Insight Somalia is a media start-up focused on being the premiere source for Somalia.
All our pieces undergo two rounds of blind edits but we do ensure a short turnaround time, i.e. 24-48 hours.
- Demonstrated interest in geopolitics, domestic affairs, security, economics, social, environment, energy or another related field.
- Work experience within these fields is desirable
Insight Somalia readers are well-informed, intelligent individuals with a wide range of interests in Domestic and Regional Affairs. But they are not necessarily specialists. Our readers want to be presented with facts, original ideas and rigorous analysis. We ask that pitches and articles avoid academic jargon, long-winded arguments and technical language.
Ideally, content should strike a balance between being relevant to the domestic affairs specialist as well as the interested generalist. Before sending a pitch, please visit our website to get an idea of what we publish and to avoid writing on topics that have already been covered or are being covered extensively.
We publish several categories of content:
- Domestic Tracker articles are 400-800-word pieces on current events and breaking news.
- Op-edsshould be around 1000-word pieces. Every sentence should count in grabbing the reader’s attention, starting with the first.
- Analysis pieces should be 1500-2000 words. These pieces are evaluated based on the subject and its policy relevance, as well as the use of evidence, strong argumentation, and readability.
- Long-readsshould be 2500-5000 words. This form of writing should strive to be comprised of thoughtful research and should analyse information with the view to help the reader make sense of the issues around them.
To become a contributor, please apply through the form below or send an email to [email protected]